Westchester business owners gathered at the Edith Macy Conference Center Thursday, May 31 to be recognized for their "green" achievements. Westchester County Executive Robert Astorino and Business Council of Westchester President and CEO Marsha Gordon were both on hand for the 2nd annual Westchester Green Business Challenge (WGBC) recognition event.
"The momentum behind this program is immense, and it will only continue to grow as more and more companies realize that implementing sustainable business practices is a win-win for the environment and for your bottom line," Astorino said during his speech.
At the event, Dr. Marsha Gordon presented C.W. Brown with a special Sustainability Award that has been set up in the memory of Charlie Brown, the company's founder. Charlie made a commitment to have the first LEED Platinum certified building in Westchester County and his vision became a reality. Next year and every year following, another business that has followed in Charlie's green footsteps will receive the award.
>>View video of the event (YouTube)
The following businesses received special recognition at the event:
- Platinum Sponsor Award - Con Edison
- Bronze Sponsor Award - Reckson
- Bronze Sponsor & 2012 Greatest Progress Award - Pernod Ricard
- Outstanding Achievement in Outreach Category - Regeneron
- Outstanding Achievement in Energy Category - Jacob Burns Film Center
- Outstanding Achievement in Waste Management & Green Products Category - Dragonfly Hair Studio
- Outstanding Achievement in Transportation Category - SUNY Purchase
- Outstanding Achievement in Land Use Category - Edith Macy Conference Center
- Outstanding Achievement in Water Resources Category - New York Presbyterian Hospital
All WGBC participants that were recognized:
2012 Event Sponsors:
Edith Macy Conference Center is situated among 405 wooded acres in the heart of Westchester County. For small, private gatherings to large conferences of up to 200, this secluded setting boasts 14,000 square feet of flexible meeting space in a smoke-free, natural, quiet setting. Their expansive acreage and open lake front property provides the ideal setting for activities of all kinds.